Return to Gwyneth Walker page
The listings below contain musical analyses written about the works of Gwyneth Walker. These, along with the extensive information about Walker's music provided throughout this website, should serve as useful tools to researchers. Electronic examination copies of Walker's original musical hand-written manuscripts are available upon request, when relevant to research and studies.
Downloadable MP3 files (and online listenable RealAudio streams) are available for all works referred to in these analyses.
A chapter on the music of Gwyneth Walker (including an extensive interview with the composer) has been included in the book Composers on Composing for Choir (2007). This book is a good reference for research on the music of Gwyneth Walker. It is available from various sources including the publisher GIA and Amazon.com.
Five Musical Analyses by Gwyneth Walker:
- Read an introduction to Five Musical Analyses
- Read an analysis of "thy fingers make early flowers" from Though Love Be a Day (1979) for voice and piano
- Read an analysis of "Still" from Though Love Be a Day (1979) for voice and piano
- Read an analysis of "A Splash of Cold Water" from Short Set for String Quartet (1993)
- Read an analysis of I Thank You God (1998) for SSA chorus and piano
- Read an analysis of "Simple Gifts" from Shaker Tunes (1994) for brass quintet
- Read an analysis of About Leaves (1997) for chamber orchestra
Musical Analyses and Articles by Carson P. Cooman:
Musical Observations by Gwyneth Walker:
- Read an introduction to Musical Observations
- Read observations on "Summary by the Pawns" from An Hour to Dance (1997) for SATB chorus and piano
- Read observations on I Will Be Earth (1993) for SSA chorus, SATB chorus, or solo voice and piano
- Read observations on A Vision of Hills (2002) for piano trio
Other Research Documents: